I will, however, try and give you somewhat of an “update” on things down here. A lot has happened since Christmas, so bare with me…
My Return: I had a wonderful time at home with my family and I’m so thankful I had the chance to see them. My actual return from vacation was easier than I thought it would be. I missed my boys a lot and was ready to come back and get working again. It was very strange coming back though, as 5 out of the 6 other volunteers ended their year of service in December. Dan, a Notre Dame graduate who is working in the clinic is the only one who started with me in July, and therefore was back with me in January. I miss the old group a lot, they were a fun group and we had a lot of laughs together. It’s amazing how close you can get to people in just 6 months.
This brings me to the next big announcement…NEW VOLUNTEERS! At the end of January we welcomed 6 new volunteers here in Miacatlan! Dan and I were very excited, as it was starting to get quite lonely around here. We have 3 Americans, 1 German, 1 Dutch, and 1 Austrian. Overall the group is fantastic and I think they will do wonderfully with the kids.
My boys: I’m continuing to love my time with my little guys. They crack me up every day. Here are a few cute stories for you.
1) I was walking outside with a little boy (6 years old). He pointed to a smoke stack and asked me, “Tere, does anyone live in there?” When I explained what it is, he responded, “Oh, well I want to live there when I grow up”.
2) One of my boys recently went to visit his mom in prison. He does this a few times a year (along with all the other kids in the house who have similar situations) and always comes back with lots of goodies. This time he had brand new tennis shoes. He was very excited about them. As I was helping him put in the new laces he told me, "Next time I go visit my mom she is going to have shoes just like this, but they will be pink with a picture of a doll on the side, and they will be for YOU!" I wasn't quite sure how to respond, but said, "You are so sweet, but I already have tennis shoes!" He then said, "I know, but I love you!"
3) At night we read the kid's different stories out of a Children's Bible. One of the stories included the line, "I am a child of God". The next day one of the boys was being made fun of, and when the kids started calling him names he yelled out, "Not true, I am a child of God!" Oh my gosh, tt was the cutest thing ever!!! And of course, the "bullies" had no idea how to respond :)
My Grandma:
On February 5th my dear grandmother Pat Wacker passed away. She was an inspiration and constant light to her 9 children, 22 grandchildren, 5 great-grandchildren, church community and many friends. I looked up to her greatly and miss her already. I will cherish the many memories I have from our summers up at the lake playing cards, doing crafts, going to mass, eating family meals. I am forever grateful for the love and example my grandma showed us.

No comments:
Post a Comment