Saturday, July 10, 2010

Wow, I feel like so much has happened since I last posted! This week has been very busy at the "house". Monday through Wednesday I continued in language school, and Thursday we went to an open house at the highschool. NPH's school is unique in that it is a secondary school and vocational school in one. By receiving a certificate in one of five areas (Hotel/Tourism, Childcare, Computer Science, Engineering) they are more prepared to find a job. As a final assignment students put on an open house. Drinks and appetizers were served in mock hotel rooms while presentations about child development, wire coding and the makeup of an atom were given. At the end, each of the 5 groups put on a dance/gymnastics show. It was unlike anything I had ever seen and was very cool! I was surprised how into it the boys were!
Yesterday we went to Casa San Salvador, the home in Miacatlan where I will be moving on Thursday. The middle schoolers (and kindergartners) had a graduation ceremony, mass, and special meal. It was GREAT to see my goddaughter, Lupe, and her siblings.
Today was the highschool graduation. It is a very special event complete with a fancy breakfast, dinner and dance. Many friends and relatives were there and it was fun to see the kids so excited.

Like I said, I move to Miacatlan this coming Thursday. I was asked to take a "seccion" of kids part-time in addition to the LifeTeen/EDGE job. I haven't decided if I want to do that right away or wait until LT/EDGE is up and running. There are pros and cons to both, so I will be thinking about that for the next week.

I am feeling more and more comfortable here everyday. There are so many incredible pequenos, directors and volunteers here. I have bonded with one highschool girl, Mageline, who just graduated and will now be doing her year of service at the Miacatlan home. I am very excited about that! She is a sweet girl who's always laughing.

This next week will be very busy as well. I will write after I get situated in my new home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment